Summer so far
I love summer and all the euphoric sensations that comes with it. I feel so grateful to live in Sicily, where everything beautiful is even more exaggerated. When I close my eyes and think of summer, I feel the cool water of midnight swims under the stars, the smell of suntan lotion, the heavenly taste of juicy watermelon – to name a few.
Last summer, I spent most of my days dreaming about what I would do once I was back on my feet after my ankle injury. At times I felt completely hopeless, but just one year later I've experienced so much beyond my wildest dreams. The trick seems to be to reach for the best feeling thought and run joyously with it until it becomes reality.
Here are 5 highlights from this summer (so far):
1. Fleetwood Mac in London: This spur of the moment trip was one of the coolest experiences of my entire life. Stevie Nicks is one of my idols, and I was absolutely captivated by her powerful energy – especially as she sang 'Black Magic Woman'.
2. Global Shapers Hub Curator: July 1st marked my first day as Curator of the Global Shapers Palermo Hub (an initiative of the World Economic Forum). Giving back to the community is something near and dear to my heart, and I have the great privilege of collaborating with talented young Shapers to bring change to Palermo.
3. New projects: Over the last few weeks, I completed my first website from scratch for a luxury furniture designer in Veneto. We went from clean slate to fully functioning in less than one month (WIX is my favorite platform). I've also taken on projects for an Innovation Lab in Basilicata, a love coach in Canada, a photoshoot in Taormina and a Sicilian tour company specialized in genealogy tours. Striving for progress and not perfection, I’m making some improvements to my website and chasing the elusive (yet achievable!) work/life balance.
4. Lampedusa: My first time on this stunning Sicilian island, and definitely not my last. Here is where I learned that sunsets are best enjoyed on a scooter as you drive down a windy dirt with a 360-degree view of the sea.
5. Festino di Santa Rosalia: Strangers often tell me that I should pray to Santa Rosalia, Patron Saint of Palermo, and I've grown fond of la Santuzza and her fascinating story. The city goes wild for her Saint Day on July 14th, with fireworks and not one, but two parades. Since we're in Sicily, of course there is a gastronomic component to this celebration. The menu? Street food stalls serving snails with garlic and loads of black pepper, sfincione (thick crust pizza with onions) and watermelon.
There is still a lot more I want to achieve and experience before the summer end, both personally and professionally. What works for me is making ambitious goals to strive for, while simultaneously leaving some room for magic – because a jam-packed calendar doesn't permit time for pleasant surprises.
What are you up to this summer? Tell me about it in the comments!